Wednesday, February 29, 2012

TOS Review: Reading Eggs


Since our family is very tech oriented, I am always looking for good, clean, useful websites for my children to use.  I would certainly say we have found a new one in Reading Eggs!

Reading Eggs is an inter-active online programs that teaches letters, reading, spelling, and comprehension.  Using adorable characters, cute songs, and unique games, kids learn while having lots of fun!!



Reading Eggs is set up as a 'path' for learning.  Your child will progress down a map, earning golden eggs as they progress.  As they collect eggs, more lessons are opened.  Beginning with the lowercase alphabet, letters sounds are learned along with site words.  Then, the progression is made to uppercase.


Reading Eggs also has many extra features such as a 'playroom' that has books to read and pages to color, or an arcade with games to try.  They even offer story writing contests.  

Reading Eggs is very easy to use.  When I first received our trial code, I really didn't have time to sit down and explain it to my children.  I didn't have to!  I logged Mustang on and let her go.  Over the course of a couple weeks she has completed 41 lessons.  


Just to see what it was all about, I logged on and completed lesson 42 with her help.  I personally enjoyed the various games and was pleased that she could read and understand what was going on, too.  One little extra that I really liked was that there are games to increase ones ability to use the computer mouse-something that Mustang and Charger both have issues with.

As a parent, I enjoy the ability to go in and see my child's progress and what level they are assessed at.  At a quick glance I can see Mustang's estimated reading age, total of phonetic sounds she has reviewed (successfully) with Reading Eggs, and how many sight words she has been able to read with the program.  Another page shows her approximate reading comprehension level.

We have tried a few different free and paid learning sites, and I have to say that Reading Eggs is certainly the kid's favorite and possibly mine, too!  And, at as little as $6.25 a month (with a yearly subscription), it is quite affordable.  They also offer discounts for additional children, which I really appreciate!


If you are looking for a unique addition to your child's Easter basket, maybe consider adding some 'Reading Eggs' instead of the traditional edible ones. :)  

If you would like to read more reviews about Reading Eggs, check out the TOS Review Crew Blog.  Or, make your own review with a free trial!  

Happy Learning and God Bless!!

This is a review for The Old Schoolhouse Review Crew.  Thank you to Reading Eggs for providing my family with a complementary subscription for the purpose of review.  I was not required to write a positive review, and all opinions expressed are my own.

1 comment:

GraGra said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.