Thursday, April 10, 2014

Weekly Wrap Up 2014 Week 15

This whole week was all about the human body.  We started our study last week and will finish it in 2 weeks (after Easter).  I'm loving this unit.  Everyone is interested and learning a lot.  

We are using all the resources we can.  We have quite a few for the human body.



We are continuing on with our My Body book.  Adding to our cut-outs every day or two.


This week we added our muscles, heart, and brain.


We learned about the skin by making a strange eatable skin mold.  A little too much sugar and red dye for my taste buds, but it was a lot of fun.  I found the recipe at Oklahoma After School Network.  




We also read Your Skin and Mine by Paul Showers.


We read a number of books this week.  Muscles by Seymour Simon.



Hear Your Heart by Paul Showers.  GREAT book.


We also read  A Drop of Blood by Paul Showers.  Equally as great.  I love the Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science books.  


We tried to put together this cool 'Visible Man.'


That is, until I realized it was a TRUE model and needed cement and everything!  


We still had fun looking at all the body parts, but we are going to have to put the model together sometime in the future (it's a bit above us now).



I also found this super cool online website that helps with learning all about the skeleton.  Charger, especially, loved it!

This next week we are playing the game 'get ready for Easter.' And also 'look through what we have to do to finish our work by the end of April (last week of May at the latest).  So, I don't know if there will be a wrap up or not!

I hope you have had a great week!


God Bless,


Lisa

Montessori Monday 

7 comments:

Phyllis said...

We have loved the My Body book and used it several times over the years. I am curious about the skin model. Can you tell us more about how it was made?

Unknown said...

wow - great resources, but I don't think I'd be able to do much with that skin project. (faint)

Lisa @ Our Country Road said...

I updated to add the recipe for the skin. Thanks for reminding me Phyllis!

Kayra said...

I'm totally making that edible skin project when do the human body next year. that's cool and creepy; right up my kids' alley!

Jen said...

This looks awesome. The skin is kind of scary and cool all at the same time lol. It really does look like someone's skin. :) We are planning on doing the body with the huge drawing too when we move into our new house. Looks like a fun week!!

As He Leads is Joy said...

My Body book is one of my favorites. It looks like a learning unit.

Anonymous said...

What a great week!! We will be studying the body again next year and I will have to look into that skin model some more!